Thursday, November 8, 2012

Refurbished Corner Hutch


I bought this at a thrift store for $10. The guy who helped put it into my car said "you want this old thing?" He was probably feeling sorry for me thinking I had bad taste. I told him, "I see a diamond in the rough."

 
 
I wanted to paint it black... that meant removing the paint. First, I removed the doors. I tried Strypeeze on 2 of the shelves, which took the whole can. There were 7{SEVEN!} layers of different paint.



As you can tell, the Strypeeze didn't go all the way down. I decided to use my Black&Decker Heat Gun. This is the best tool ever! The heat gun will bubble up the paint and then you scrap it off with a putty knife. It is so much quicker and easier when you have layers of paint... not to mention cheaper.
 

The heat gun took me pretty far down, but not all the way. I sanded all the way down to the bare wood.

I used Elmer's wood filler to fill in any cracks. To sand, I used the Black&Decker sander. I love this one because it has a velcro underneath. The sandpaper adheres to the sander. No hooking, cutting. {I found a big stack of sandpaper at the thrift store for $1}



I used Valspar Signature Color in Black with a Satin finish. I used a sponge roller which was easy and painted the corners with a sponge brush.

 
This is a decorative wood piece I bought at Lowes. I attached it with Elmers wood glue.
I distressed the corners, edges and decor piece.
 

 
I display my grandma's tea sets.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment