Thursday, November 22, 2012

Orange Rolls

Happy Thanksgiving!! Don't we live in the most beautiful country?! I feel so blessed! I have a great husband that loves me and puts up with my randomness. I have 5 children and although 4 are living, they are healthy and happy. My baby was a blessing and taught me so much! I am grateful for the gospel and promises of an eternal family!
 
I live thousands of miles away from my family... all family. They live in Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. I'm in Virginia. Yeup, that's far. It's not easy to gather for holidays. Not to mention that it cost a shiney, pretty penny.... {lots of shiney pennies} 
 
For Thanksgiving we are having some friends over. Thank goodness they have kids because I enjoy a loud, crazy house!
 
Yesterday I was preparing my grandma's famous orange rolls. I've never made them before. I started making them and had to call my mom because I was really confused at the directions. My mom walks me though them and as she's talking, I realize that what she is saying is written in the recipe... that I didn't read all the way through. Haha!
 
So today I'm actually making them and I think "I really wish I had my grandma here to help me." She's living and well in Utah. I kick myself because I didn't hang out more in the kitchen when we gathered for holidays or in general. If I could pass on today's lesson it would be to "get in the kitchen, help and enjoy the girl time!" There is so much to be learned from our great grandma's, grandma's and mothers!! I'm including my grandma's orange roll recipe. It's too good not to share! And read the recipe thoroughly :o) {P.S. I didn't read the directions thoroughly [again] and didn't let my rolls rise the second time. So your rolls will look different then mine below.}
 
 
Orange Rolls
 
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 cups water
6 cups flour
2 eggs
 
 
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
 
In a large bowl, mix sugar, butter and 2 cups of water. Melt these ingredients in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and let mixture cool to room temperature. Once cooled, add dissolved yeast and stir well. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Next begin to add flour. Start with 4 cups and keeping adding 1/2 cup at a time. Mix well. Dough should be firm but a little sticky. 
 
Cover and let it rise. You can make this up to 3 days before you use it. If you are making these for another day, place in a covered bowl overnight in the refrigerator. Take out of refrigerator 1/2 hour before you want to make the rolls. 
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Divide dough in half and roll into a rectangle. Dough should be thin. Spread orange filling (below) all over. Roll up rectangle long ways and cut about 1.5 inch rolls. Place in greased muffin tin. Let rise until double in size. Bake 12-15 minutes. 
 
Orange filling
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
grated orange rind
 
Put ingredients in a bowl and melt in microwave until butter is melted.
 
 
I miss family. I pour myself a pepsi in a wine glass. A girl needs a pretty glass to sip from!
 
Enjoy the rolls, your family and friends!
 
Happy Thanksgiving from us girls!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment