Friday, March 8, 2013

Teaching my kids

I am a stay at home mom. I have the time to make lunches, make beds, pick out clothes, clean rooms, pick up toys {you get the idea}... I take on the responsibilities that my children are capable of doing. I always thought that since I had the time & to show my love, I would do everything for them! I mean, isn't that what a mom does?!
 
I was reading an article in the Ensign several nights ago about raising resilent children. I started thinking of the things I do for my children, even my older boys 10 & 13. I do a lot! Two things that I don't do, is teach them how to do things themselves and the responsibility.
 
That's changed! {I know, it's only day 2, but learning that I needed to change was BIG!} My 10 year old wasn't happy with the idea of making his own lunch. He pleaded that he didn't have the time. I cheered him on. He ended up having 15 minutes to play on his Kindle. My 4 year old threw a fit when I wouldn't put his shirt on for him {not on me, on him}. I tried to talk him through, but he threw the shirt on the floor & stomped off mad. Today I taught him how to deal with failure and to retry. And when that didn't work, I taught him how to stick to something until it's accomplished {ie., to stay in his room until he put his shirt on}. He was able to work through it and get that shirt on under a minute. Such dedication! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Sarah!!!!! You are a wonderful mom and I am proud to call you my friend. Love you too and Miss you, Robyn

    ReplyDelete