Friday, December 14, 2012

Teaching my kids

Ohmigoodness! I just got done settling my kids sibling argument. I know that totally doesn't make sense. Let me explain. My daughter falls. My 9 year old quickly yells at my 4 year old, thinking that the 4 year old pushed my daughter. In turn, my 12 year old yells at the 9 year old. I run downstairs and find my 9 year old in the corner crying. AHHH!!!!! Who did what to who? When? Where? WHAT?!
 
Finally after hearing who did what, who yelled at who, who made who cry - I'm left figuring out who gets what punishment.
 
I decide on the first thing that pops into my mind... it's called mother's intuition {well, that's what I'm calling it anyway}. I decide to have my 9 year old read two stories from the Friend, a church magazine and my 12 year old read two stories from the New Era, another church magazine. After each of them finished reading, I asked them "How did you feel reading those stories?" and "How did yelling at your brother make you feel?" I tried to make them understand that yelling at their brothers was not Christlike; how quickly the Spirit leaves when we are yelling.
 
Yes my 12 year old rolled his eyes! It might have been a lame way of teaching, but it's my privilege of teaching them. I'd rather it be lame then not take the time to teach.
 
I added that I am guilty of letting my emotions go and being quick to anger {tail tucked between my legs - GUILTY}. I told him that I'm learning to change this behavior in myself and I want to teach them this lesson now, rather than them figuring it out when they are 33.
 
Fingers crossed that this lesson sinks in for them... and ME!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment