Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Organizing Scout awards

I have two boys in scouts. One is a cub and the other is a boy scout. I am still learning the ways of a Scouting mom. There is a lot to be on top of. One of them is keeping their awards organized. Okay, it's not a must, but it sure does help if you move and can't remember what has been completed. I managed to keep my 13-year olds awards and papers through 4 moves... and one of those moves was across the country.
 
In cub scouts, you have the Rank cards, patches and beads. Most of that is attached to the scouts shirt. For an older scout, there are the awards, blue cards for merit badges, patches, and merit badge worksheets. I was seriously lost when my oldest entered the Boy Scouts. I had blue cards in one draw, patches in my jewelry box, pins in another drawer. I was all over the place. Until I met another scout mom that was VERY organized.
 
She showed me a folder that she had for each of her boys. In the folder, she had the merit badge worksheets, plastic covers and baseball card protectors. Her rule was that the folder never left the house. The scout could remove the worksheets, but never the folder. The folder had everything the scout had earned and needless to say, could never be replaced.
 
I hope that you find this helpful in organizing your scouts awards and paperwork.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment